Thursday, June 26, 2008

Squash Casserole

Can you believe all of the wonderful vegetables and herbs in the grocery stores and probably even in your garden or your neighbor's garden this time of year? Hopefully, you're sharing with your friends and they are sharing with you. Sharing homegrown vegetables is very big in rural Appalachia. The colors are vibrant and the taste and the price can't be beat.

In the spirit of sharing, this summer squash recipe is so chock full of flavor even your vegetable hating children will love it. Our cute little 7 year old neighbor is now a squash lover.


Squash Casserole -



Wash 4 yellow summer squash or is it squashes?



Slice the ends off the squash, cube and put in a high-sided pan with about 3 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt. Simmer on medium-high heat for about 15 minutes until the squash has softened. While squash is simmering, cook three slices of smoky bacon and reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and crumble the bacon.



Drain squash and let cool just a little.

While squash is cooling, return pan to the stove and lower heat just a notch, add the reserved bacon grease and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add 1 medium onion finely chopped to the pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons minced garlic and saute for another minute.

Remove pan from heat, add squash, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat leaf parsley, reserved crumbled bacon, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of seasoned Italian bread crumbs, 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, 2 teaspoons Louisiana Hot Sauce, 1/4 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter. Fold ingredients to thoroughly combine and then turn into a buttered casserole dish.

Sprinkle top of casserole with seasoned Italian bread crumbs, 1/4 Parmigiano-Reggiano, and a couple of pats of butter and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

I dug my spoon in the casserole before I took a picture. Sorry, I was hungry and I hadn't eaten in like 20 minutes, and it smelled so good and the way everyone was hovering when I took it out of the oven, I was afraid I wouldn't get my share.

Go make friends with your neighbors or go the grocery and get some summer squash!

4 comments:

Leah said...

Wow, that casserole looks delicious!! I'm going to bookmark it and try it when we have dinner guests next week -- what a perfect summer dish!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Seriously, I hate squash yet my mouth is watering!!

How DO YOU DO IT???

Hallie :)

Greg C said...

I have more squash than I know what to do with right now. I would try that casserol but I would be the only one in my family to eat it. They never try anything new.

test it comm said...

I have been enjoying all of the fresh local fruits and vegetables. That squash casserole sounds like a nice way to enjoy the squash.